Three Dead After Someone Tosses Dry Ice Into a Swimming Pool at a Birthday Party!

 How can something this tragic happen at a birthday party? Why would someone throw dry ice into a swimming pool while people are supposed to be having a good time? I’m pretty sure these are just two of the many questions being asked at this time by people all around the world.

Three people have died and 6 are in intensive care after inhaling vapors created by mixing dry ice with pool water. The victims suffered from carbon dioxide poisoning, and some guests were reported to have chemical burns. All involved were celebrating at a popular Russian blogger’s birthday party. The deceased include the blogger’s husband Valentin (Valya) Didenko, 32, plus party goers Naalia Monakova and Yuri Alferov, both 25 years old. All were pronounced dead at the scene.

A big crowd of the couple’s friends were seen clinking glasses moments before the tragedy in the south of Moscow.

Ekaterina’s husband Valentin bought dry ice ‘to create an impressive steam show’ as the party guests jumped into a pool. 

But as soon as the ice was poured in people started fainting. Paramedics failed to rescue two of the guests who were pronounced dead at the site.

The Russian Investigative Committee confirmed a criminal case was opened into causing death by negligence. 

The ‘preliminary reason for the death of three (partygoers) was mechanical asphyxia because their airways were blocked’, reported crime channel 112.

The three were in the pool when the dry ice was released and could not breathe.

Five people remained in hospital this morning.  My heart goes out to all involved in this tragic accident.  I hope no one else tries something like this!  I’ve included a different video below of a young man showing what happens when dry ice is tossed into a swimming pool.